Friday, August 06, 2004

Welcome to the Vomitron

[pavement pizza]

John Selzer made me think about nausea this week. Thanks, John!

[hurling the hash]

Nausea in games, specifically. The phrase I've always used is 'taking a ride on the Vomitron,' and it's been happening to me for years. I've never actually thrown up, but I've gotten severely nauseous. This all started with Doom, I think--I can remember being so into the game that I didn't want to stop playing, even as the nausea meter raced into the red zone. The Unreal Tournament series is an excellent series of games, but I can't play more than thirty minutes at a time, tops.

[driving the porcelain bus]

This only happens, for me, with first-person shooters, and I think Doom 3 has helped me figure out the definitive cause. I mention Doom 3 because it doesn't make me nauseous at all--as long as I walk. I started running last night, though, and within thirty seconds I handed my ticket to the attendant and got on the Vomitron. I could feel the nausea building at a sensational pace.

[Technicolor yodel]--no worries, mate!

Fortunately, Doom 3 isn't the kind of game where you have to run. The enemies are limited in quantity, and you're more likely to look for cover than run like hell. If you do, though, and you're like me, you better watch out, because it won't be long before you're
[feeding the fishes]
[bringing it up for a vote]
[calling Ralph on the big white phone]

Welcome to the Vomitron. Seats are always available.

p.s. When I was spellchecking this, it kept suggesting that I change 'Vomitron' to 'Vomit Ron.'

If I'm Ron, that kind of pisses me off.

Site Meter