Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Crush

I really enjoy eating at a place called Bear Rock Cafe here in Austin. It's about five minutes from our house, the food is terrific, and the people there are some of the nicest I've ever encountered in a retail situation. Here's a link to the website (it's a franchise):
http://www.bearrockfoods.com/.

I probably eat there five days a week, and sometimes I'll take Eli 4.8 with me. There's an employee at this Bear Rock named Nicki (I'm not sure that's how she spells her name), a very nice lady, and Eli has decided that he has a crush on her.

Actually, he's decided that she has a crush on him. "Daddy," he said last week, "while you were ordering, she was smiling at me. She LIKES me."

So yesterday we go to Bear Rock because he wants to see Nicki (works out great for me because I like the food so much). I've told her that he has a crush on her, so when she sees him she comes out from behind the register and fusses over him for a minute or two. Eli is so shy that he can barely say anything, but he's beaming as we walk off.

We sit down at our table and I say, "You really had a conversation going with Nicki there."

"OH, YEAH," he said. "She gave me THE BIG LOVE."

"And you even managed to not be shy," I said.

"That's right," he said. "You just have to behind your fear and do what you have to do."

Site Meter