Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Wait Is (Almost) Over

Daniel Willhite sent me the following quote:
Atman Binstock, chief architect of Oculus, quite succinctly summed up the biggest challenges facing Oculus and virtual reality in general: “actually delivering compelling experiences and not making people sick.”

That actually describes my dating days very well.

I broke down and ordered the Oculus Rift last week. DK 2, which is the last developer's version before commercial release in 2015 (supposedly).

Why now?

There can be a delay of several months before receiving the DK2 after ordering, and Elite: Dangerous is releasing late this year. I am required by every law in my brain to play Elite: Dangerous with a virtual reality headset. There is just no other option.

This time, after so many false starts over the years, virtual reality is going to be a big, big deal. And I think Elite: Dangerous is going to be one of the games that demonstrates why it's such a big deal. So even though DK2 is not a consumer-ready experience, I'm willing to put up with the rough edges.

I also can't wait to see what Eli 13.1 thinks.




Site Meter